1st April 2021
We’re looking for an experienced Finance Manager to join our growing team in Brighton.
Man Bites Dog is a multi-award-winning consultancy with global reach. We create campaigns that champion intelligent companies. We are B2B marketing experts who develop big ideas and make them travel, positioning our clients as the go-to experts in their field. We pride ourselves on our ability to tell clear stories in a complex world. Using bespoke research, we unearth the new issues that matter, and activate strategic marketing campaigns to give our clients competitive advantage.
From mapping the scale and impact of future talent shortages to ranking cities according to their sustainability, our original content engages the C-Suite and changes the conversation.
Man Bites Dog offers an end-to-end service that has real business and economic impact. Our signature thinking and pioneering use of economic data drives marketing, public relations and business development in order to build reputation, deepen relationships and generate revenue for our clients.
We’re far from a traditional marketing and communications agency. We dare to be different in how we do business and the kind of work we do. There’s no creative or commercial challenge too big for Man Bites Dog.
We do interesting and inspiring work to be proud of and have built a collegiate culture based on hard work and good fun. It’s one of the reasons we win so many awards, and why our team choose to stay and grow with us.
Your Responsibilities Include:
Lead on management accounts
- Responsible for production of monthly detailed management accounts
- Review of the P&L report
- Reconciliation and maintenance of all balance sheet accounts
- Commentary on the KPIs and variance analysis
- Managing the costs and revenue in line with the financial budget
- Support on the preparation of the annual cost budget and quarterly flexed updates
Statutory, payroll and tax
- Preparation of annual accounts on SAGE and key supporting schedules for external accountants.
- Review of CT return and calculation
- Review of VAT return and responses to government surveys
- Ensure all legal obligations of payroll are met
Management of all client income and costs
- Preparation, reconciliation and reporting of monthly income recognition on all client accounts
- Review and reconciliation of deferred and accrued income accounts
- Continual input into and review of the main business income forecast schedule
- Review of WIP reports and recognition of deferred and accrued costs
- Supplier maintenance including contractual terms agreed for all major project costs
Business partner to the client teams
- Preparation, monitor and review of monthly resource planner
- Lead the fortnightly finance update meetings with the senior client team
- Reconciliation and commentary of budgeted net revenue vs actual monthly results
- Review budgets, proposals and SOWs to ensure they are commercially robust and legally compliant with the client MSA
- Support the MD on system and process change and be the lead on specific projects
People management and communications
- Line manage the part time Finance Executive
- Delegate and review all work completed by the Finance Executive
- Train the wider team on financial management on their client accounts
- Upskill the consultancy on the use of the finance management system (Synergist)
- Weekly company updates and top tips on finances in the business
Systems and processes
- Lead and be the positive ambassador of Synergist
- Increase the use of the system where appropriate and relevant including the income recognition functionality
- Review and reconcile all financial information reported in SAGE
- Identify and report on potential business improvements and best practice financial procedures and controls in line with a growing consultancy
- Lead on accreditation projects for client procurement requirements and internal initiatives
- Pitching in and supporting your pack with ad-hoc work as required
The key qualities we’re looking for in our new recruit:
- ACA or ACCA newly qualified
- Either 3 years experience in marcomms agencies or looking for first move into industry from practice
- Strong experience in income recognition including deferred and accrued income
- Desire to work in SME environment – being part of the wider team
- A financial expert on management accounts, KPI reporting and analysis of income and costs.
- A business partner able to coach and support the client handlers on finance management including budgeting, income recognition and project tracking for time spent and third party costs.
- An outstanding communicator – written and verbal.
- Consultative manner – able to deliver high quality finance advice to internal stakeholders.
- An unflappable operator and problem solver that can juggle multiple responsibilities and is looking for a wide-ranging role.
- A self starter who enjoys leading on tasks but asks for direction when needed.
- Intermediate Excel skills including Pivot
- Experience of agency/consultancy finance systems is desired
Check out our Instagram account to keep up to date on our latest adventures.
Please send a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org